Yesterday I decided to try my first (of many) DIY projects for the new house.
I have an oak recipe box that my Dad made me years and years ago... that I wanted to paint white.
I took the little ceramic knobs off...white with pink roses on them...and gave it a light sanding.
I have to say, it made me a little nervous. I didn't want to mess this up, as my Dad had made it.
So far, so good.
I was using a paint sprayer that came highly recommended by a DIY blogger. She SWORE by it.
She'd done many projects, both big and small with it.
I was also excited to use the chalk paint I'd found at Home Depot. At $17/quart, it was a huge
bargain compared to Annie Sloan chalk paint at $45/quart. You can't really tell by my unedited photo,
but on the label 'linen white' is quite white. In the can as well. I was worried it would be too bright white.
Because I wanted a soft white, you know?
The whole party, with Belle's help...gets moved outside. I set newspaper down and begin spraying.
Nothing. You should know there's only two knobs on the whole thing. One to control how much paint comes out,
and one to control the direction of the paint. I re-read the directions and crank the one knob all the way to the right.
It didn't take me long to realize something was wrong. Sometimes it would spray paint, but mostly it was just
spitting paint. Like in the old days when we flicked paint with a toothbrush?
Being outside, the chalk paint was drying fast. So I stopped and got a brush to smooth out the spits.
And ended up brush painting the whole thing.
Re-re-reading the instructions...if the paint is spitty, you need to strain the paint.
Strain the paint? Seriously. It said right on the box "Works great with chalk paint!" Liars!
And one coat of 'linen white' was drying to the shade more accurately called 'old teeth'. Eek!!
Yellow-white! I added another coat...and as I look at it now...inside...it's a lot better.
Yesterday I was planning to sand the whole thing down and start over with different paint,
but this morning it's looking pretty good. We'll see.
I should add that I did all this painting outside without getting a drop on me.
Until I picked up some newspaper and got a huge glob of paint on my pants.
In my rush to get inside and take my pants off, I stubbed two toes on the deck steps to the point of
some naughty words.
Bottom line: If I use that #@*^ paint sprayer again, I will either have to figure out how to
strain chalk paint, or try different paint altogether.
I'll post an after picture after I get the new knobs on. :)